Our team has a wide range of experience in advising public bodies, predominantly those responsible for the delivery of health and social services, in relation to the many complex legal issues arising from the discharge of their statutory powers.
The team has represented clients at all levels of the Irish Judicial System as well as before the Court of Justice of the European Union on public law issues. We have also acted for clients appearing before Oireachtas Inquiries, Tribunals of Inquiry and other Statutory Inquiries.
We regularly assist clients in public law cases which involve: –
- Reducing the legal risks associated with the discharge of statutory powers, such as challenges by way of statutory appeal or judicial review
- Defending claims based on rights guaranteed or derived from the Constitution, the European Convention on Human Rights and the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights
- Advising Investigators on the nature and the rights that are in play in their investigation and the legal principles that must be adhered to, to ensure fair procedures are complied with and how to assess information gathered, draw conclusions and state findings
- Providing advice on regulatory and other forms of investigation and inquiry
- Providing advice to private companies and individuals in their dealings with public law processes.
Our team has developed a particular expertise in the healthcare sector and the many complex legal issues that can arise therein. We advise clients in the defence of medical malpractice, personal injury and professional negligence claims and have represented clients at Inquests and before the Medical Council whilst providing advice on non-contentions issues relating to the regulatory framework surrounding the healthcare sector in Ireland.